Calculus For Dummies, 2nd Edition (9781119293491) was previously published as Calculus For Dummies, 2nd Edition (9781118791295). While this version features a new Dummies cover and design, the content is the same as the prior release and should not be considered a new or updated product. Slay the calculus monster with this user-friendly guide Calculus For Dummies , 2nd Edition makes calculus manageable--even if you're one of the many students who sweat at the thought of it.
By breaking down differentiation and integration into digestible concepts, this guide helps you build a stronger foundation with a solid understanding of the big ideas at work. This user-friendly math book leads you step-by-step through each concept, operation, and solution, explaining the "how" and "why" in plain English instead of math-speak. Through relevant instruction and practical examples, you'll soon learn that real-life calculus isn't nearly the monster it's made out to be.
Calculus is a required course for many college majors, and for students without a strong math foundation, it can be a real barrier to graduation. Breaking that barrier down means recognizing calculus for what it is--simply a tool for studying the ways in which variables interact. It's the logical extension of the algebra, geometry, and trigonometry you've already taken, and Calculus For Dummies , 2nd Edition proves that if you can master those classes, you can tackle calculus and win.
Includes foundations in algebra, trigonometry, and pre-calculus concepts Explores sequences, series, and graphing common functions Instructs you how to approximate area with integration Features things to remember, things to forget, and things you can't get away with Stop fearing calculus, and learn to embrace the challenge. With this comprehensive study guide, you'll gain the skills and confidence that make all the difference.
- Höfundur: Mark Ryan
- Útgáfudagur: 2016-05-18
- Hægt að prenta út 10 bls.
- Hægt að afrita 2 bls.
- ISBN 13: 9781119297437
- Print ISBN: 9781119293491
- ISBN 10: 1119297435
- About This Book
- Foolish Assumptions
- Icons Used in This Book
- Beyond the Book
- Where to Go from Here
- Part 1: An Overview of Calculus
- Chapter 1: What Is Calculus?
- What Calculus Is Not
- So What Is Calculus, Already?
- Real-World Examples of Calculus
- Chapter 2: The Two Big Ideas of Calculus: Differentiation and Integration — plus Infinite Series
- Defining Differentiation
- Investigating Integration
- Sorting Out Infinite Series
- Chapter 3: Why Calculus Works
- The Limit Concept: A Mathematical Microscope
- What Happens When You Zoom In
- Two Caveats; or, Precision, Preschmidgen
- Chapter 1: What Is Calculus?
- Chapter 4: Pre-Algebra and Algebra Review
- Fine-Tuning Your Fractions
- Absolute Value — Absolutely Easy
- Empowering Your Powers
- Rooting for Roots
- Logarithms — This Is Not an Event at a Lumberjack Competition
- Factoring Schmactoring — When Am I Ever Going to Need It?
- Solving Quadratic Equations
- Chapter 5: Funky Functions and Their Groovy Graphs
- What Is a Function?
- What Does a Function Look Like?
- Common Functions and Their Graphs
- Inverse Functions
- Shifts, Reflections, Stretches, and Shrinks
- Chapter 6: The Trig Tango
- Studying Trig at Camp SohCahToa
- Two Special Right Triangles
- Circling the Enemy with the Unit Circle
- Graphing Sine, Cosine, and Tangent
- Inverse Trig Functions
- Identifying with Trig Identities
- Chapter 7: Limits and Continuity
- Take It to the Limit — NOT
- Linking Limits and Continuity
- The 33333 Limit Mnemonic
- Chapter 8: Evaluating Limits
- Easy Limits
- The “Real Deal” Limit Problems
- Evaluating Limits at Infinity
- Chapter 9: Differentiation Orientation
- Differentiating: It’s Just Finding the Slope
- The Derivative: It’s Just a Rate
- The Derivative of a Curve
- The Difference Quotient
- Average Rate and Instantaneous Rate
- To Be or Not to Be? Three Cases Where the Derivative Does Not Exist
- Chapter 10: Differentiation Rules — Yeah, Man, It Rules
- Basic Differentiation Rules
- Differentiation Rules for Experts — Oh, Yeah, I’m a Calculus Wonk
- Differentiating Implicitly
- Getting into the Rhythm with Logarithmic Differentiation
- Differentiating Inverse Functions
- Scaling the Heights of Higher Order Derivatives
- Chapter 11: Differentiation and the Shape of Curves
- Taking a Calculus Road Trip
- Finding Local Extrema — My Ma, She’s Like, Totally Extreme
- Finding Absolute Extrema on a Closed Interval
- Finding Absolute Extrema over a Function’s Entire Domain
- Locating Concavity and Inflection Points
- Looking at Graphs of Derivatives Till They Derive You Crazy
- The Mean Value Theorem — GRRRRR
- Chapter 12: Your Problems Are Solved: Differentiation to the Rescue!
- Getting the Most (or Least) Out of Life: Optimization Problems
- Yo-Yo a Go-Go: Position, Velocity, and Acceleration
- Related Rates — They Rate, Relatively
- Chapter 13: More Differentiation Problems: Going Off on a Tangent
- Tangents and Normals: Joined at the Hip
- Straight Shooting with Linear Approximations
- Business and Economics Problems
- Chapter 14: Intro to Integration and Approximating Area
- Integration: Just Fancy Addition
- Finding the Area Under a Curve
- Approximating Area
- Getting Fancy with Summation Notation
- Finding Exact Area with the Definite Integral
- Approximating Area with the Trapezoid Rule and Simpson’s Rule
- Chapter 15: Integration: It’s Backwards Differentiation
- Vocabulary, Voshmabulary: What Difference Does It Make?
- The Annoying Area Function
- The Power and the Glory of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
- The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus: Take Two
- Finding Antiderivatives: Three Basic Techniques
- Finding Area with Substitution Problems
- Chapter 16: Integration Techniques for Experts
- Integration by Parts: Divide and Conquer
- Tricky Trig Integrals
- Your Worst Nightmare: Trigonometric Substitution
- The As, Bs, and Cxs of Partial Fractions
- Chapter 17: Forget Dr. Phil: Use the Integral to Solve Problems
- The Mean Value Theorem for Integrals and Average Value
- The Area between Two Curves — Double the Fun
- Finding the Volumes of Weird Solids
- The Washer Method
- Analyzing Arc Length
- Surfaces of Revolution — Pass the Bottle ’Round
- Chapter 18: Taming the Infinite with Improper Integrals
- L’Hôpital’s Rule: Calculus for the Sick
- Improper Integrals: Just Look at the Way That Integral Is Holding Its Fork!
- Chapter 19: Infinite Series
- Sequences and Series: What They’re All About
- Convergence or Divergence? That Is the Question
- Alternating Series
- Keeping All the Tests Straight
- Chapter 20: Ten Things to Remember
- Chapter 21: Ten Things to Forget
- Chapter 22: Ten Things You Can’t Get Away With
- Give Two Answers on Exam Questions
- Write Illegibly on Exams
- Don’t Show Your Work on Exams
- Don’t Do All of the Exam Problems
- Blame Your Study Partner for Low Grade
- Tell Your Teacher You Need an “A” in Calculus to Impress Your Significant Other
- Claim Early-Morning Exams Are Unfair Because You’re Not a “Morning Person”
- Protest the Whole Idea of Grades
- Pull the Fire Alarm During an Exam
- Use This Book as an Excuse
UM RAFBÆKUR Á HEIMKAUP.ISBókahillan þín er þitt svæði og þar eru bækurnar þínar geymdar. Þú kemst í bókahilluna þína hvar og hvenær sem er í tölvu eða snjalltæki. Einfalt og þægilegt!
Rafbók til eignar
Rafbók til eignar þarf að hlaða niður á þau tæki sem þú vilt nota innan eins árs frá því bókin er keypt.
Þú kemst í bækurnar hvar sem er
Þú getur nálgast allar raf(skóla)bækurnar þínar á einu augabragði, hvar og hvenær sem er í bókahillunni þinni. Engin taska, enginn kyndill og ekkert vesen (hvað þá yfirvigt).
Auðvelt að fletta og leita
Þú getur flakkað milli síðna og kafla eins og þér hentar best og farið beint í ákveðna kafla úr efnisyfirlitinu. Í leitinni finnur þú orð, kafla eða síður í einum smelli.
Glósur og yfirstrikanir
Þú getur auðkennt textabrot með mismunandi litum og skrifað glósur að vild í rafbókina. Þú getur jafnvel séð glósur og yfirstrikanir hjá bekkjarsystkinum og kennara ef þeir leyfa það. Allt á einum stað.
Hvað viltu sjá? / Þú ræður hvernig síðan lítur út
Þú lagar síðuna að þínum þörfum. Stækkaðu eða minnkaðu myndir og texta með multi-level zoom til að sjá síðuna eins og þér hentar best í þínu námi.
Fleiri góðir kostir
- Þú getur prentað síður úr bókinni (innan þeirra marka sem útgefandinn setur)
- Möguleiki á tengingu við annað stafrænt og gagnvirkt efni, svo sem myndbönd eða spurningar úr efninu
- Auðvelt að afrita og líma efni/texta fyrir t.d. heimaverkefni eða ritgerðir
- Styður tækni sem hjálpar nemendum með sjón- eða heyrnarskerðingu